Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Reflecting on Our First Week

Lessons began on August 30th in our household. We started a week earlier than originally planned because we'll be taking a week off this fall for vacation. It's great that homeschooling provides this wonderful flexibility.

Overall it was a good first week. The boys had good attitudes. They completed the work that was assigned to them (with minimal groans).

The schedule might need to be fine tuned. Because of my oldest son's problems with reading, he needs a significant amount of one-on-one time, and of course my youngest son is just getting started with this school thing and needs quite a bit of help and direct instruction. I found that some of the time I'd allotted to work with E. during the language arts block was taken up with providing additional reading instruction to J. I'm not ready to ditch this schedule, though. We'll work through September with it, then evaluate and tweak it.

This week I was struck by how important it is for me to model the behaviors I want to see in the boys. If I want them to be able to plan, schedule, and complete tasks, then I need to show them in my daily life and my own approach to projects how to do these things. If I want them to approach their work with a positive attitude. I need to do the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment