Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Easing In

The first day of August seems to begin a count down to the first day of "School." For me it means I have "x" days to make sure I have all the materials we need and get plans ready for those first few weeks. For the boys it means "x" days of freedom to jump on the trampoline, play on Webkinz, build forts, etc. without the constraints of a schedule. When the first day of school comes around it is a struggle to get into a workable routine. And this year could prove to be even more difficult since it is the first year I have two doing formal lessons.

So, this year I've decided we are going to ease in to school. Instead of waking up on September 7 and starting a brand new routine, I've purchased a couple of lap book project kits from In the Hands of a Child and a few days each week we are going to work on our lap books, review math facts and letters with flash cards, and other activities that will help the boys review the stuff they already know and ease that transition between the summer vaction season and the school season.

I hope this will make September 7 less painful and more of the joyful experience that it should be!

No comments:

Post a Comment