Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Homeschool Co-op

When my husband and I began discussing the option to homeschool, he was very concerned about socialization. He'd had no contact with homeschooled children; and, I think he envisioned children that were extremely introverted when other children were around or completely wild, without any self-control. I was a little concerned about making sure the boys were able to function in an organized setting--follow directions of adult in charge (even if it isn't Mom), sit still, wait your turn, not talk when others are talking. What if they had to go back to school for some reason?
I didn't know very many people who homeschooled and wasn't sure what we were supposed to do, aside from our daily lessons. I saw a flyer for a homeschool co-op at our local library. I had no idea what a co-op was, but I looked up some information on the Internet and I e-mailed the coordinator for Kids' Day Out Co-op (KDOC). I found that homeschool co-ops differ from group to group, but the basic premise is all the parents contribute according to their interests and talents and the children's needs.
KDOC meets once a week from September to November and January to April. There was a nominal charge to cover the cost of supplies. We have been extremely happy with the group. Both of the boys looks forward to going to co-op each week. They enjoy seeing their friends and I think they like having someone other than me teach them.
The first half of the year the my 8-year old son participated in Science, American History, P.E. and Music lessons each week. The latter half they participated in Science, Spanish, P.E. and Drama. My 3-year old has been in the pre-school class. In Science the parent-teachers organized experiments and demonstration, a field trip to Blandy Farm State Arboretum, and a science fair among the co-op students. (They did provide information about a larger, juried homeschool science fair for those interested.) In preschool they focus on a weekly letter and do lots of fun stuff. Co-op also organized a fall trip to a farm. And, we will go on a spring farm trip in a couple of weeks.
I've assisted in American History, preschool, and Spanish classes this year. The regular contact with other homeschool parents is great. As a newbie, I felt I could ask the other parents questions about curriculum or organization. There are about 50 children and 20 parents that participate in KDOC.
If you live in or close to Frederick or Clark Counties in Virginia and are interested in the group you can contact the KDOC coordinator at kidsdayout@hotmail.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment